Monday, October 27, 2008

"Nap" on the Changing Table

Will is in a playgroup. It is our week to host it. I've been teaching them about the letter G and words that start with that letter. Several days after it has been over, he can still recite to me all of those words and explanations that I gave them. Like, we put the garbage in the garbage can and then put it next to the street and the garbage man comes and puts it in the garbage truck. He is so great. Then, last night I went to check on him after he fell asleep and he had something in his hand. On closer inspection, I found the green letter "G" in his hand. I was so proud of him. He can learn so much. I need to take this opportunity to teach him since he can retain so much knowledge.

On Saturday Randy was at school and I was home with the boys. It was about 4:00 in the afternoon and Will was in his room "taking a nap." I heard him open his door and I could hear him creeping slowly down the hall. I told him to go back and lay on his bed. Yeah right. I stayed on the couch because Jack was sleeping on me. I was dozing on and off myself. I could hear Will making noise and doing who knows what, but I just stayed on the couch. At one point I could hear a distant "Mommy." But it was nothing alarming, so I didn't do anything. He knew he was supposed to be sleeping, so he played very quietly, as if I wouldn't hear what was going on. (Well, that turned out to be kind of true.) I could hear a familiar noise, but I didn't recognize what it was. Well, when I finally got up, I found Will. He had climbed to the top of Jack's changing table and was stuck. (The familiar noise was him kicking on the table, like Jack does when he gets his diaper changed.) He was like a cat climbing up a tree; he could climb up but couldn't get down. During his stay on the changing table (who knows how long it was) he had somehow dropped the white pad. He was also playing with the blinds. When the cats away... It was really quite funny, but of course I couldn't laugh in front of him. After I helped him down, he was looking a little distressed and probably teary eyed so he would avoid getting in any trouble. Oh Will! Randy and I got a good laugh about it later when he got home.

Jack is starting to do some cool things. He's always been a very alert baby, just like his brother. He looks around and makes eye contact (usually smiles, squints his eyes, and loses his binky at you when he does that) and seems to know what's going on. The other day I was holding him and Randy was sitting next to us on the couch. I said to Jack, "Where's Dad?" Right away Jack turned his head and smiled at Randy. It was so cool!

No comments: